White Paradise, The Land of The Glaciers.
At the border of Chile, deep into Patagonia we find a world of wonder and natural wealth. "The Glaciers'' National Park which covers 600,000 hectares of eternal snow, ice and striking beauty. Here we find the only living Glacier in the world which comes out in the Lago Argentino: Glacier Perito Moreno, an ice mass of fascinating splendor - 4,000 m wide and 60 m high. Once every 4 years the Glacier breaks at the front, which is an overwhelming spectacle. At the North of Lago Argentino lies Glacier Upsala, amazing for its spectacular beauty. At 80 km from Glacier Perito Moreno at Lago Argentino we find the small city of El Calafate. the starting point to visit the Glaciers.
Best visiting season: October – April
- Climbing in the zone of Fitz Roy - The area's Mecca for hikers. climbers and campers with extraordinary views.
- Visit Puerto Natales, with its Patagonian architecture.
Chilean National Park of
Torres del Paine, and Punta Arenas,
featuring many mansions and other impressive buildings.
- Boat excursions to: Glaciers Upsala and Onelli (only to be reached by boat), Glacier Balmaceda (Chile).
- Visit Perito Moreno.
- Excursions to Estancias
- Visit the Chilean Park "Torres del Paine" South America's finest national park.
- Los Notros ****
Situated on 8 km of the Glacier (70 km from El Calafate) with 12 exclusive rooms. all with an impressive view of the Perito Moreno Glacier. Beautifully furnished. All rooms are spacious, have bathroom, central heating. Excellent restaurant.
- Bahia Redonda ***
At the border of the village El Calafate, with a beautiful view of the lake. A simple hotel with a good restaurant with bar. All 24 rooms contain central heating, bathroom and telephone.
- Hotel Kapenke **
In the center of EI Calafate with 24 rooms with bathroom, and central heating. Breakfast room.
TIERRA DEL FUEGO
At The End of the World
In the most southern part of the world, at the southern border of Patagonia we find Tierra del Fuego. With its delightful city, Ushuaia. Situated near legendary Cape Horn, with view of the Beagle canal and at the background the snow covered mountain tips.
Tierra del Fuego provokes a feeling of solitude and admiration for nature. The plains of northern Isla Grande are a landscape of almost unrelenting wind, and enormous flocks of Corriedales, while the mountainous southern part of the island offers scenic glaciers, lakes, rivers and
seacoasts. The mostly maritime climate is surprisingly mild, even in winter.
This rough and fascinating region offers a lot of exciting options for the daring traveler.
Best visiting season: October – April
- Cross country skiing.
- Trekking - Possibilities to hike from Lapataia into Chile, along the north shore of Lago Roca.
- Excursions to lakes and glaciers.
- Sailing to the Isle of the States up to the
End of the World lighthouse, or Cape Horn (through the little islands full of penguins and seals).
- Cruises, which take you deep into the Antartic.
- Visit National Park Tierra del Fuego, the
Chilean park "Torres del Paine", Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales.
- Fishing - Good fly fishing for trout and salmon, guided trips possible.
- Las Hayas Resort Hotel *****
3 Km from Ushuaia with view on the Beagle canal, the forest and the Andes mountains. It has 102 rooms
finely decorated with TV. Two restaurants, an English bar and a health club which offers
fitness center, indoor heated pool, sauna, jacuzzi and squash court.
- Tolkeyen ***
Close to the center of Ushuaia situated with a beautiful view over the Beagle canal. The Hotel has 20 rooms with bathroom, TV and a safe. It also has a famous BBQ restaurant.
- Malvinas ***
Centrally located. Has 16 rooms
and breakfast room. With a view on the bay.
Mountains, Woods, and Lakes
San Carlos de Bariloche - also known as Bariloche -, at the rim of the Andes, is surrounded by the beautiful, breathtaking National Parks of Lanin, Nahuel Huapi
Lago Puelo and Los Alerces. Bariloche is the entrance door to a marvellous string of lakes and woods, glaciers and snowy peaks. It lies on the margin of the impressive Nahuel Huapi Lake. The city has the ideal base for diferent excursions and tours, and a well visited ski-resort in winter. The runs around Bariloche, at Cerro Catedral, are said to be the trendiest and best known in South America.
Best visiting season: All year (skiing: June - September)
- Horseback riding.
- Fishing. Fishing in Argentina's more accessible Andean-Patagonian parks. from Lago Puelo and Los Alerces in the south to Lanin in to north, brings visitors from around the world. Here we find both native and introduced species.
- Water sports, such as sailing, windsurfing, canoeing. kayaking and rafting. All very popular on Lago Nahuel and other lakes and streams.
- Skiing in winter: June - September.
- Boat excursions to Isle Victoria.
- Trekking - Crossing, a combination of bus and boat through several resorts, across the Andes to Chile.
- Bicycle rides. Ideal for the Circuito Chico and other trips near Bariloche, where most roads are paved.
- Golf course. with 18 holes, 5 km from Bariloche.
- Llao Llao Hotel & Resort*****
Located in the heart of Patagonia, Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi.
This beautiful hotel has 154 rooms, all with minibar safety deposit boxes and TV.
The hotel provides you with bars and restaurants, live entertainment, a health club with heated swimming pool and whirlpool, supervised recreation for children.
Shops, Golf (18 holes). Tennis and Paddle
- Tronador ***
A charming hotel in Nahuel Huapi National Park, close to Tronador mountain right on the Mascardi lake. All 30 rooms have bathroom and central heating.
- L'Edelil Hotel **
A simple, pleasant hotel, with restaurant and 20 rooms, all with bathroom.
3 km from the center.
PENINSULA VALDES AND PUNTA TOMBO
Argentina's Great Ecological Reserve
In the North of the province Chubut, in the Atlantic Ocean, lies the Valdes Peninsula One of the finest wildlife reserves in South America. Sea lions. sea elephants, guanacos, rheas. Magellan penguins and many our seabirds are present in large numbers on the beaches and headlands.
Sheep estancias occupy most of the peninsula's interior.
Some 77 km from Puerto Madryn we find the Nuevo - and San Jose Gulfs which are the ports of arrival and breeding ground for right whales. From July to December an amazed traveler will witness this memorable spectacle.
Punta Tombo, 120 km away from to city of Trelew, is an area of large penguin cormorant and seagull colonies. The penguins arrive in September after their annual trip to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean between South America and Africa.
Best visiting season: October - March
- Excursion to Punta Tombo. The breeding area for the small
Magellan penguins. It is possible to approach these very closely (September- Mach).
- Excursions to the reserves of Punta Norte, Caleta Valdes, and Punta Loma.
Admiring the immense sea elephant and sea lions.
- Boat tour amongst whales (October - December). An unforgettable experience.
- Peninsula Valdes ****
A pleasent hotel in Puerto Madryn, close to the Peninsula Valdes.
The hotel is situated at the boulevard and has a confiteria, a big comfortable lobby, a bar and a coffee shop. All 70 rooms have a bathroom and a safe.
- Faro Punta Delgada ***
This hotel has an superb location at the most northern point of the Peninsula. An old lighthouse with 30 rooms. all with private bathroom. It has a central recreation room. and restaurant.
- Bahia Nueva ***
A new built hotel located at the boulevard.
this brand new hotel has a comfortable lobby and cafeteria.
All 40 rooms have bathroom and central heating.